Three years ago I became part of the vegan blogging community because I wanted to join the enormous crowd of cool ladies in their (virtual) kitchen. I was happy to be share space with Isa and Hannah and Gena. And the great thing about blogging is that the kitchen keeps getting more crowded with great, inspiring, fun bloggers. The following is a list of recently discovered blogs that make my heart happy.
- Green Kitchen Stories might be the cutest family ever, and they have created an endearing blog about their food adventures. Great photography, gorgeous food, and lots of inspiration for living the good life can be found here. If you have an iPhone you should get definitely get their ap as soon as you can; it is awesome enough to justify the purchase of the iPhone itself. No, I have not made that leap yet, but thankfully my coworkers do, so I can share with them.
- Barefoot and Frolicking is a lovely little blog I found via twitter. Marlie is a Toronto based chef and teacher (hey, like me!), and she features mostly raw, vegan, and gluten free recipes on her site, along with beautiful adventures. I can’t wait to begin working on the recipe list, especially the dessert section! I was especially impressed with her vegan and raw cake-pops.
- My New Roots is the blog for vegetarian wondergirl Sarah Britton. She has been featured in Whole Living, works as a holistic nutritionist, and works at Noma’s test kitchen in Denmark- she kinda lives my dream life. Her blog is a mix of raw foods, vegetarian yummies, and nutritional insights (like eating for fertility and information about food combining). Her recipes are simple, delicious, and always feature things I love like healthy fats, greens, beans and other wholesome goodies.
Are you looking for more blog inspiration? Check out these posts (here and here) about new bloggers gleaned from the 2012 MoFo list. And for some more inspiration, check out the following links to see what I was up to in the past years!
I don’t know exactly what is happening in the worldwide web, but my blog has been crazy busy for the past few day- bad timing too, since I’m still on my little blog break! My hits have quadrupled for the past few days- and this is one of the sources: BakeryManis has been featured on Healthy Living Blogs. HLB is a great site for bloggers to connect and share inspiration for healthy living. I am happy to be a part of their blogger community.
For any new readers (or those of you who might want to learn a bit more about the baker lady behind BakeryManis), check out the Friday Feature from Healthy Living Blogs! Here is a snippet from their site:
1. What is your name, blog name, and how did you create your blog title?
My little blog is BakeryManis. I am really excited about whole-foods baking and cooking, but I want my goodies to be sweet and tasty; manis means ‘sweet’ or ‘cute’ in the Indonesian language. It was maybe not the best idea to choose a foreign language blog title, but I think it’s working pretty well! It’s always a conversation starter!
2. What’s one goal you’re working towards right now?
I have recently begun teaching vegetarian and vegan cooking classes, and I love sharing recipes and tips with students and friends. But I really want to expand my knowledge of nutrition and health, and so I am thinking about taking some courses for nutrition education.
there is lots more to learn… check out their Friday Feature with BakeryManis! yea!
For the Vegan Mofo’ers, and for my friends: for this Tofu Tuesday, every single BakeryManis tofu recipe from two and a half years of blogging! This is a legacy of sorts, I suppose. And a special blog-love shout out: from this list it should be pretty clear that the Post Punk Kitchen, and all of Isa’s books, had some pretty serious influence in my cooking life. Many thanks, Isa, for the inspiration.
Viva le tofu!
What are YOUR favorite tofu recipes? What indispensable recipe did I forget- which recipe can’t you live without? Do tell! loves!
Just like last week, I am trying to work my way through the Vegan Mofo blogroll, which is actually a tremendous task. This is a wholly random list, though kinda alphabetical. I am happy to say that I found a bunch of new recipes to try, read some great recipe testing, and found more bloggers to add to my quickly-expanding list of blogs. I also realized Joni and I have basically the same weekly themes. Accidental, I swear! Enjoy the roundup!
- I Eat Grains: so many delicious recipes to try! Chimichuri Tofu, Seitan Gyros, baked oatmeal, and a host of other delicious things coming from this lady.
- Jessi Jordan had me at hello. Her most recent post is a funny pie chart about what people think vegans eat (tofu, grass, granola, and ?) and what is actually eaten- which is of course a million colors of the veggie rainbow. And she is drawing cartoons for the whole of the Mofo. Awesome, right?
- JL goes Vegan is a super fun and informative site, and even thought I read her often, I still wanted to include her blog here, because there is pumpkin cookie-bread-muffin-biscotti creation that looks amazing. And she’s super ON for the Mofo thing, blogging and tweeting her heart out. Just try to keep up!
- Homemade pretzels? Thank you Kale and Cookies! These look so soft and fluffy and yum. She also reminded me that I need to get on that Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodle cookie thing (with melted chocolate, like she suggests), like asap.
- Kale is Comfort is a vegan mama making the cutest healthy lunches for her little kids, and making chile rellenos with cashew cheese and biscuits and lentil gravy for the rest of us.
- Le Chou Sauvage might just be the prettiest blog ever– but she is a photographer and all, so her photos are truly gorgeous- dusky and ethereal- even the steamy tempeh looks pretty in her le crueset pot (probably everything looks good in one of those pots, sigh). I can’t wait to read more from this wild cabbage chica!
- I learned that I am a Megatarian, and so this cooking and gardening blog will be seeing lots of visits from BM! I really want to she how she cooks up all her CSA veggie goodies (like grilled fennel, yum!) and learn, once and for all, what does one do with garlic scrapes?
Stay tuned for next week’s roundup… I will be working my way from mmmmm onwards… aloha, a
As I mentioned in my last post, on Mofo Mondays I will be scouring the web for Vegan Mofo deliciousness. I might not get around the trialing all the new recipes, but I have certainly added these bloggers to my ever-growing list of blogs to love. (I am trying to work through the whole alphabet too, as you might notice from the list!). This is blog love, people!
A note: it is only the third day of Vegan Mofo, so some of these bloggers’ posts are not officially Mofo entries. But that’s ok, right?
- Awesome Vegan Rad wrote up a beautiful photo-review of Isa’s Appetite for Reduction, which I just purchased but have not cooked from yet. Her great food photos of the Shepard’s pie, biriyani, korma and mushroomy bites make me want to get on it!
- Blissful Living, a blogger and nutritional counselor, will be documenting her 30-day vegan challenge. Are you new to veganism? This might be a good place to start! She already knows the most important rule to making healthy eating affordable: “stick to the bulk bins and produce aisles for affordable healthy eating.”
- Go Greenly: sweet potato and corn tamales?!?! Please post this recipe soon, friend. I can’t wait to see more from this blogger!
- Hipster Food knows that ‘awesome food is for everyone’ and that means I like them already! And they have a cool theme for Mofo: to “turn your least favorite foods into (hopefully) irresistible dishes.” Not only is the blog beautiful and classy, they write a magazine called the chickpea magazine! Added to the list of new blogs to love!
- In Her Grace is working her way through the How it All Vegan cookbook, starting with gluten free pizza, which was unfortunately not successful. But I am excited to see their upcoming successes from this popular book!
- It’s Raining Kale: I am always happy to find fellow kale lovers, and this blog has also made it onto my reading list. The most recent post shows off a vegan raspberry clafouti made for a vegan bake swap… makes me want to live in DC to share the delicious foods!
Share the blog love! Tomorrow is Tofu Tuesday, and I will be sharing my recipe for the Best Baked Tofu ever. Yes, the best ever!