There is so much love in the air: not only did my little brother get engaged last week, today the ladies are celebrating the nuptials of our good friend at her bridal shower! I am feeling the romance while making my favorite vegan spelt scones and biscuits to share at the tea party. It’s been a long time since these goodies have made an appearance in my kitchen- so long in fact that I forgot some of my key ingredients (oat bran and ground nuts- sorry ladies!). But I’ve resolved to not forget about these goodies again.
Raspberry Spelt Scones
2 cups whole spelt flour
½ cup fine oat bran
½ cup ground toasted macadamia nuts
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
1/3 cup agave + ¼ cup for drizzle
¼ cup brewed tea
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350° and line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the spelt flour, oat bran, nuts, baking powder and sea salt.
- Measure the oil, 1/3 cup agave, tea, and vanilla into a small bowl and mix to combine. Add the liquids into the dry ingredients, and stir gently. Add the berries and stir to just combine; a few dry spots are okay.
- Scoop out ¼ cup batter into your hands, gently press flat, and then lay on the cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between the dough. Bake for 15 minutes.
- As soon as you remove the scones from the oven, drizzle with the remaining ¼ cup agave. Let stand on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes, and then move to cooling racks.
- These stay good for a few days at room temperature, and they freeze very well.