This Hawaii girl is happy to be home from my brief holiday to the stunning and spiky desert of Arizona. To celebrate my Grandma’s 85th birthday I spent the previous few days in Tucson with the family (though the party was incomplete: at every turn I was missing my brother and his lady + baby girl!).
Generally it’s pretty difficult on my body to travel; Grandma is always good about preparing vegetarian-friendly foods, but it’s not quite the same as cooking and eating at home. On top of skipping a whole night of sleep flying across the pond, I also missed out on daily doses of greens, bananas, and brown rice. I did pack healthy snacks like kale chippies, hearty crackers, larabars, and there was good fruit too. I even cooked some steamed kale dish for the family- everyone ate the greens AND seemed to genuinely like it! Small but glorious victories for the kale ambassador!
But, today is my first day home and I am so happy to come home to my favorite foods to nourish and heal the body. My favorite things that I miss when I am away:
- my morning pot of jasmine green tea
- brown rice
- local bananas
- daily infusions of leafy green things
- vegan baked goodies!
- good olive and coconut oils
- nooch and fresh herbs
- cherry chia drinks and french-pressed coffee
- local eggs, honey, and vegetables (not necessarily combined!)
- my little fluffy kitten
- the boyfriend, who cared for the garden babies, cleaned the whole house, and took me out for my favorite dinner when I arrived home :)
Some photos from the trip: